Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What Honeymoon???

In every pregnancy book and website you read, it always says the Second Trimester (weeks 14-27)is the "honeymoon stage" of your pregnancy. Your morning sickness has subsided, your energy has returned, and you are not feeling the physical annoyances of carrying around a baby (swollen feet + swollen ankles = cankles).

Well, let me ask - when is this "honeymoon" supposed to happen? Because I have been in the 2nd Tri for 2 weeks now and I have never been so sick. My hateful child is probably paying me back because I was telling everyone on Thursday and Friday how much better I was feeling. That soon ended on Sunday.

Sunday started off ok. I got up around 8:30 and ate breakfast. Wheat Chex and 1% milk - something I have ate before and felt fine afterwards. Not Sunday. By 9:15 I was visiting the porcelain throne and seeing my breakfast for a second time. NOT FUN! I brushed my teeth and started on my "spring cleaning" project for the day. It's amazing how pregnancy can minimize how bad puking really is. Usually after a good regurgitation of a once enjoyed meal, one feels awful, looks for sympathy and goes to bed...or at least that is what I used to do until now.

Our bedroom furniture was terribly dusty and needed a good wipe down. I got out the bucket of hot water, added some murphy's oil soap and started cleaning. It was then that I started feeling a little crampy and told Robert about it. He immediately put me on bed rest. So much for finishing the bedroom furniture. The cramps weren't BAD, but they were a little disconcerting. I hadn't felt any cramps since the very early beginning of the pregnancy. I immediately picked up my trusty copy of WTEWYE (for non-preggers people - that stands for "What to Expect When You're Expecting"). No where in the book could I find that cramping in the 2nd Trimester was normal. I visited many message boards, asked pregnant or proud parent friends, frantically googled "2nd Trimester Cramping". And received mixed messages. Some resources said it was ok and normal, others said to call the emergency room. I opted to just stay in bed.

Robert brought me lunch consisting of Easy Mac. (Why is it that when you start growing a child, your palette reverts back to when you were 5 years old? Cravings for PB&J, Pop Tarts, Chicken Nuggets, Mac & Cheese... and the thought of broccoli will make one turn their nose in disgust!) At any rate, I gobbled up the Easy Mac and drank some ice water. 10 minutes later that doomed feeling came over me and once again I got to revisit my once enjoyed meal... CRAP!

I was worried. I was crampy AND sick. This wasn't a normal feeling for someone who is supposed to be on their HONEYMOON!!!

Monday morning I called the doctor. While I had been able to keep a piece of toast and peanut butter down, my cramps were still lingering. The nurse was patient with me and invited me to come in and see the On-Call Doctor at 1:15. Sign me up! With Robert in tow, we headed to the Clinic. I stepped on the scale, surprised to find that I have lost another 4 1/2 pounds (that is a total of 11 pounds lost so far). My blood pressure was "perfect". They gave me another ultrasound to check on those cramps. We got to see our precious hateful child. The baby had it's hands up, clasped together and was probably taking a nap, or was in a starvation coma since I had managed to eat 3 corn bread muffins and a piece of toast in the past 48 hours... Note to self: Eat not for you but for your unborn baby...

The technician told us the baby looked perfect and asked if we wanted to know the sex...Um... is the sky blue??? She told us not to start painting the nursery yet but guessed that we are having a baby GIRL!!! I thought for SURE we were having a BOY but we'll take it either way! It was a relief to see our little girl's heart beating away at 165 bpm.

The doctor came in afterwards and touched on my belly a few times and told me the cramps were probably caused by Round Ligament Pain and there wasn't anything to worry about.

I felt at times I was probably overreacting. No, Scratch that... I WAS overreacting... But...Robert assured me that calling the doctor and going in was not overreacting but playing it safe. It's so nice to know that I have a husband who is so supportive of me and doesn't think I'm too much of a drama queen. I know I am truly lucky!

And for my final words - Welcome Maybe Baby Girl Morgan!!!

Check out those bones!!! Guess that Ice Cream after dinner is paying off!!! (Robert told me that the baby is now too "skinny" and I need to start fattening her up... give it time...)

Isn't she precious? I can't wait to meet our baby in October!

6 comments:

Dee said...

I thought after hearing you talk Sat that you were having a girl. The unending morning sickness was a huge blinking neon sign for me :)
You can never be too cautious when it comes to your child, unborn or not! I am so glad that everything is good and OK


On another note, I have signed up for a blogger. Dont know if I will use it (its not like I ever use my LJ LOL) but I did :)

Joni and David said...

OMG a girl?!? YAY so exciting. My brother and law and moh from our wedding both had girls this year, I love shopping for them!! :)
Better to play it safe than sorry, I would've called the doctor too!

Stephanie said...

congrats!!!! baby girls are the best!!

The Medina Heins' said...

OHHHH A GIRL!!! How exciting!!! I'm so happy!! It sounds like she's doing well!! Way to be proactive and making sure everything was okay!! So exciting!! Hang in there!! (and post some preggo pics will ya?!!) :-)

Anonymous said...

First of all....ROUND LIGAMENT PAIN IS THE HELL NO ONE TELLS YOU ABOUT!!! I hated it! It doesn't go away until the baby comes out. I bought at maternity belt which helps while your standing, but digs into your gut when you sit down.
Second...Congrats on the baby girl! Do you have a name?
Third...I don't pass out baby/parenting advice but since you know what you're having and will be registering soon there are a few products you will never use and some you can never live without! Here is my list of favorites:
1) ERGO baby carrier...it works from birth to like 5 years old or something, it's awesome and has a hood for nursing privacy, rain or just to hold the babie's head while she sleeps. You can't get it at Babie's R' Us, I got mine online. It even has a backpack/diaper bag that attaches, great for flying home with the baby.
2) A Boppy, someone gave me a 'My Breast Friend' and it sucked, never used it. The Boppy helps with nursing and when the baby is learning to sit up.
3)A cuisinart mini chopper...if you don't have a food processor. I took time one saturday or sunday a month and made all of Brody's baby food. It was organic, and cheaper than the jarred stuff, plus I knew exactly what was in it.
4)A Microwave Bottle Sterilizer, it's quick, cheaper than the plug in kind and works for the pacifiers that fall on the floor.

That's my rant...I'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your baby girl! :) Also, I'm sending my sympathy on the continuous nausea! No fun! :( Hope you start feeling better soon and can be concentrating on all the pink you should be stocking up on! :)