Monday, April 14, 2008

Mom's Pork Chops

Tonight I made my mom's "famous" pork chops. I don't think my mom knows that these are "famous" but I think I would venture to say this was my favorite meal as a kid. I introduced it to Robert a few years ago and after a few raised eyebrows and strange looks when I said "pork chops and corn"...he too enjoyed them. They probably aren't the healthiest in the world but they are SOOOO good.

Ingredients:
Thin cut pork chops
flour
salt & pepper (and other spices)
can of corn (or two!), drained

In a plastic bag (although when I was younger we always used brown paper lunch bags) add flour, salt, pepper, and whatever spices you decide to pull out of the pantry. I would help my mom and it was a lot of fun adding the spices. Place the pork chops in the flour and SHAKE them up in the bag (again one of my favorite things to help with when I was a kid!)

In a skillet - an iron one preferably, add some vegetable oil to coat the bottom and heat the oil on medium-high - so it's hot when you put the pork chops in. Note - this is one of the ONLY times I used vegetable oil versus olive oil when I cook. Brown the pork chops on each side. once the second side of the pork chops is golden brown, add the corn and turn the heat on medium-low. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until you notice the corn is getting a caramel brown tint to it.

The heat from the skillet cooks the corn and the pork chops stay moist.

I serve this with mashed potatoes and brown gravy.

SOOOO good! I know it sounds terribly bizarre but really it makes a GREAT down home cooked meal. And if you're like me and like those little bits from the bottom of the skillet, then this meal is for you!

2 comments:

jmelrok said...

Sounds Good!

Anonymous said...

T his isn't your mom's. Originally [our] "Mom" cooked them for us, they may have been greasier as she used to save all her leftover grease from cooking and use it in the recipe.