Friday, November 14, 2008

Mushy Brain continues...

When one is pregnant, one suffers from a chronic condition called "Pregnesia" - This is the technical term for losing items, forgetting appointments, heck, even forgetting your home phone number at most inopportune times. Women who have never been pregnant, and men do not understand why being 'with child' turns your brain to mush. Only pregnant women and mothers know exactly what we women go through.

I stupidly thought that I would gain back my keen senses as soon as the baby was born but apparently I thought wrong, waaay wrong. It got worse.

My birthday was 10 days ago. In that 10 days I have lost a $50 cash gift and my bluetooth that I had for a whopping one week.

This morning I found the $50 - it was in my pants pocket, washed and dried, even though I would have placed my right hand atop a bible and SWORE I put it in the little purse pouch that the lipgloss Dana bought for me along with my company network access card and my debit card... Come to think of it... what the heck was I thinking putting those precious items there either?

So - now I would like to find my bluetooth. Since the dawn of their creation, I have made fun of people walking through store aisles with an earbud sticking out of their face, but as soon as I got one (it was a gift as well), I fell in love. Granted, I don't walk through stores with it, but I love it when I am driving (Both hands on the wheel) and while I'm sitting on the couch trying to nurse. The last time I KNOW I had that stupid earbud thing was in the car at the "Schnitzel Ranch" on my birthday while I was (ironically) nursing Avery in the parking lot. I hope it fell somewhere in the Envoy and NOT on the black asphalt. UGH!

I am also missing 2 baby socks, and a gift certificate for a gift that I would love to cash in for a baby carrier.

I attribute it to "baby brain" - it's the secondary symptom of "pregnesia". Blame it on lack of sleep, or never ending thoughts of your baby taking over your brain or possible the constant worry over finances, fears of having to leave your baby at day care when you return to work, or for me, the fear of Dexter coming into your house to hack up the innocent family some nutjob brought over (don't ask...) , but the point is...that you can't think anymore. You lose items that you would really love to be able to find again. Daily activities like showering or doing the dishes seem equal to climbing Mount Everest. The day escapes you and before you know it, you haven't called Delta to add your infant to your fast approaching holiday airfare.

Hopefully it will get better by January, when I have to return to the grind. Until then, can someone come over and help me???

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Welcome to motherhood sister! Your brain is never really the same.
In terms of paranoia, that's there forever, I have nightmares about home invasions all the time, visions of Brody electrocuting himself because someone was careless and didn't plug a plug, or dreams about him tumbling head first down the stairs! (Shawn has those too!) It comes with being a parent I think, and makes you crazy, that's why our mom's are nuts, because they've been paranoid about us for 30 years.

Second, the socks....you will always be missing baby socks, no matter how organize you get, first they little and the socks never stay on. Then, they start taking there socks off. Since Brody was six months old, I have had to put his socks and shoes BACK on in the car when we arrive at our destination. I've lost many socks in parking lots, garages, airplanes, etc. Always carry extra socks!

Dee said...

I hate to tell you this but it never gets any better. My "Baby" is 7 and I still routinely forget things. I now leave notes all over the house to remind me of things and then still cant remember anything.