Sunday, October 5, 2008

When will she arrive????

The last few weeks have been a little eventful for our pregnancy. I am on the verge of "going toxic"... let me explain.

There is a condition called pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) that can lead to a worse condition called Pre-Eclampsia or Toxemia. Drs aren't really sure what exactly causes it but the 'cure' for it is usually delivery of the baby. Symptoms include elevated blood pressure, protein in your urine, swelling in feet, hands and face. More severe cases include basically a shutting down of your liver and kidneys.

Up until recently, my blood pressure has been phenomenal and perfect. However about 2 weeks ago - it was 132/88 - not terrible but higher than it HAS BEEN. They did a recheck of my BP while I laid down and it went down to 100/60... no big deal.

Last Tuesday, my blood pressure was again elevated and this time I had protein in my urine. The doctor sent me in for blood work at the lab and had me come back in on Wednesday. My blood work came back "perfect" meaning I didn't have the Pre-E...yet... and on Wednesday, although my BP was elevated, the protein went down to just a trace amount. Dr. D scheduled another appt on Friday. The doctor had mentioned induction so when we came back on Wednesday our bags were packed and we were ready to go...JUST IN CASE. But since everything was "OK" we were just told to come back on Friday.

On Friday I went in and my BP was 148/100 (VERY HIGH!) and I still had trace protein levels. The nurse said "we need to deliver this baby now!"

When they did a recheck of my BP, it was 136/90 - still really high. The doctor ordered an ultrasound and did an exam. Well miss Avery is measuring about 8 pounds, and looks really good. Then he sent me to Labor & Delivery for monitoring and another round of blood work. Robert and I were not really ready to have this baby, and talked about all the things that were still at home and not packed permanently in the car.

I got situated in L&D and my BP stayed in the 130's/80's. Then right before the dr came in, it went down to 124/76. He told me to lay on my left side, and 5 minutes later, my BP was 110/72. At that time my blood work came back and in the ~1 hour the trace protein had gone to nothing and the blood work was normal.

He sent me home.

The other issue that we're facing is that my body has not started to prepare for childbirth yet. Avery is still VERY high and has not dropped. My cervix (yes, we're talking lady parts now) is still very high, not soft and not thinned out/effaced. Forget about dilation... Avery is still locked up tight.

I have spent the last 9 months worried that I'd lose this baby and now I can't get my body to let her out... irony at its best.

And because of my cervix's stubborn state, combined with the size of this baby (who'da thunk that I could grow such a biggun!??) and the fact that my body is TRYING to go toxic, we're now looking at the possibility of having a C-section.

This is NOT what I wanted... I wanted to go through the excitement of being at home, starting to feel contractions, laboring at home, going to the hospital at some strange hour of the night. I wanted to ATTEMPT to go au natural - no epidural, however now that (if ol' steely the cervix cooperates) I am induced, I am not sure I am disciplined/prepared enough to go sans epidural.

I don't feel like I am getting the support I need about the idea of having a c-section. The mere mention of it to my mom and I get the following reaction "OOOOOH!!! no! you don't want a c-section!!!" Well at this point I'm not sure if I have a choice if I keep on swelling, High BP and no ripening going on.

Today is my due date. I have done nothing but "rest" according to the doctor's orders. I'm tired of resting. I haven't had any contractions, a few cramping feelings here and there, but nothing promising. I have started a regimen of Evening Primrose Oil as directed by Lauren.

So... when will she be here??? How big will she be???

I'm guessing I get induced or a scheduled C-section - I'm going to plan on Wednesday 10/8/08. I think she's going to be 7 pounds 12 oz.

4 comments:

emily said...

Sarah, I don't know if you remember me from Oxford or not, but I had some trouble going into labor and had a stubborn cervix! I went 5 days overdue and then had to be induced, it wasn't bad. Lu was 9 pounds 7 ounces and I didn't have a C Section...so it is possible :) But either way your baby will get to you and you will be so happy so however she gets there will fade into memory fairly quickly :) I'll be praying that everything smoothes out though and that your system starts to get in gear...I know how frustrating that is FOR SURE!

Jenny said...

Hey Sweetie, I just wanted to check on you and the stubborn Miss Avery. I hope she shows herself soon! Praying for a happy, healthy deliver.
Jenny

The Medina Heins' said...

Hey Sarah...
I read your entry...I can't imagine how you're feeling. It sucks that you aren't getting the support you feel you need and I know the unknown is always the hardest. Hang in there...take care of yourself...and when little baby Avery is ready to come, she will...I'm praying for your health, her health, and for Robert (as I'm sure this is a stressful time for him)! Thanks for your brave updates and sharing...you are strong, amazing, and encouraging!! xoxoxoxo

Joni and David said...

Aww Sarah, that must be sooo frustrating!! I am praying that Avery will make her apperance soon and that you will both be happy and healthy!!
Thanks for sharing your story...hang in there!!